So you’re looking for the best pump to drain pool water…
I know the thoughts that go through a pool owner’s mind when the weather warms up, and it’s time to check the pool water chemistry after the pools been closed all winter.
Problem: Out of Balance Pool Chemistry
Listen, for more than 10 years, I’ve dealt with the issues of an out of balance pool chemistry to start my summer pool season. As well as dead rats, birds, rabbits, bugs and lots of spiders…
Never go through these hassles again…
I take a bottle of pool water to Leslie Pools.
Wait in line.
Get the results.
Make some water changes.
Then in a few days, take another bottle of water to get tested.
Here are the items from my water analysis that generally need fixing:
- Free Available Chlorine
- Total Available Chlorine
- Calcium Hardness
- Cyanuric Acid
- Total Alkalinity
- Total Dissolved Solids
Maybe you’re a beginner dealing with pool chemistry problems for the first time and you want an easy solution? Keep reading for the answer…
Look, last year, when I opened my pool, I did something different after I got my depressing report. I drained my pool.
That may not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me because my pool holds 22,000 gallons of water, and I imagined the mess that would make.
Think about this for a moment – having 22,000 gallons of water flooding your back yard.
Now, you can understand my pain…
Annually, I would follow the instructions the pool technician would give me, and still, there would always be something else that I would need to do or a chemical I needed to buy to fix my pool water chemistry.
A few times, I thought I’d just rent a pump at Lowes, but I never did.
Then last year, while I was shopping for my yearly supply of pool chemicals on Amazon I noticed submersible pool pumps.
After some research on sizes and flow rates – I decided to buy a 1/2 horsepower submersible pump.
The red pump shown in the pictures above is the one I bought. It’s multi-functional and has an auto shut-off for when the water level gets low, so it doesn’t burn up the motor.
For less than $50, I got the best pump to drain pool water and added another DIY tool to my pool maintenance arsenal.
The submersible pool pump I bought drained about 15,000 of the 22,000 gallons of pool water into my back lawn in about 8 hours. (That’s correct – I didn’t have to drain it all to fix my problem.)
Believe me, this is not something I wanted to do, but after buying the best pool drain pump with an extra-long hose, it was pretty easy to do.
I set up the pump on Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday morning, I thought my pool was drained enough so that when I added clean water it would correct the issues. Lucky my estimate to partially drain the pool was good enough and the updated water test report was positive!
The label says the MAX flow is 2115 GPH, which worked out pretty good.
Like I said, every year for more than a decade, I hassle with trying to balance the water chemistry.
Normally it would take about 3 trips back to Leslie’s to get the water re-tested. Each time I’d wait in line behind someone who had 50 questions.
This year, when I test my water, if it’s too much out of whack, I’ll drain my pool again.
Besides, I’d rather spend $28 on fresh clean water to swim in than on all the chemicals the Leslie Water Analysis Report says I need to add.
Best Pump to Drain Pool (Pick from 10 Best Sellers)
- 1/4 HP Utility pump moves up to 1,800 gallons per hour; pump will lift water up to 25' of vertical height
- Tough thermoplastic construction; 10' cord length
- 1-1/4 inch NPT discharge for high capacity pumping; includes 3/4 inch garden hose adapter
- Removable suction screen and handles up to 1/8 inch solids
- Superior Pumps are Built to Last, engineered with quality components and are 100% factory tested
- Removable intake screen for easy cleaning and maintenance
- Built in handle for portability and ease of placement and removal
- 3/4" garden hose connection
- 25' power cord
- Integrated float switch for reliable automatic operation
- 💦Main Parameters: pool cover pump QMAX: 3000lL/H, HMAX: 3.2m AC:110V/60HZ 75W, Max Water Temperature:95℉, waterproof level: IPX8
- 💦Utility Materials and Designs: above ground pool pump adopt sturdy ABS shell, which can resist bad weather. The four sides of the little giant pump are all mesh screens, which can enter water in a large area. The built-in temperature control core prevents dry burning when pumping dry.
- 💦High Utility drainage: The maximum drainage speed of the 75 swimming pool pump is up to 850 gallons per hour, which is about 2 times faster than the ordinary ordinary pump.
- 💦Good compatibility: The 16 ft anti-twist drainage hose of pool drain pump is suitable for the 1/2 " water nozzle and can drain from any depth of the pool. 3/4" water nozzle and 3/4”crooked water nozzle is suitable for drainage hoses and garden hoses. The 25 ft power cord increases the distance between the socket and the water to prevent electric shock.
- 💦Good customer service: If for any reason you're not 100% satisfied, please let us know and our customer service team will help you return or refund.
- UL CERTIFICATION: 1 HP 750W submersible dirty clean water pump with float switch and 25ft power cord, a safe standard for Swimming Pool Pumps, Fountain Pump, Filters etc. Buy our Sump Pump with Confidence to help move dirty water away, for household or utility use
- SAFE USE: Built-in automatic power shut off mechanism by auto float switch for preventing the coil from getting burned when pump fails to pump water
- DURABLE & STURDY: Heavy duty engineered Resin Construction for long serving time under water, can prolong this submersible pumps life expectancy
- 1 HP WATER PUMP: Powered by a durable oil-cooled electric motor,runs, H.Max: 26 1/4ft, draining 3434 gallon per hour quickly
- WIDE APPLICATION: Ideal for handling such tasks as draining water from a basement or a shallow flooded area, draining or refilling your swimming pool, pond or simply a bath tub, great for household or utility use, such as swimming pools, cellars, garden pond or flooded road
- UP TO 2,000 GPH - This new automatic submersible drain pump from EZ Travel Collection is capable of pumping up to 2,000 gallons of dirty water an hour. Complete with a drain hose, hose clamp, and automatic float switch shutoff feature, this pump takes the hard work out of pool maintenance.
- 400 WATT MOTOR - Rated at horsepower, this transfer pump drains a hot tub in minutes. The pump requires little work to operate and is completely submersible. The removable and adjustable spigot makes pump maintenance simple.
- COMPLETELY SUBMERSIBLE - Easy to operate, this automatic sump pump is completely submersible. The overheat prevention mechanism automatically shuts it off when the water line becomes too low to feed the pump.
- PORTABLE AND RELIABLE - This EZ Travel Collection submersible drain pump combines portability, reliability, and power. With strong impact-resistant casting, our new streamlined design includes a durable and convenient carry handle.
- DIMENSIONS - Pump: 12.5" x 6" x 6" (L x W x H). Drain Hose Length: 25' Drain Hose Diameter: 1-1/2"
- POWERFUL SUMP PUMP:750 Watt, 1 HP motor. Max Lift: 16 Feet; 3302 Gallon Per Hour rating tackles any draining job at a fraction of the time. This pump easily passes solids up to 1" in diameter. GREAT for flooded area, swimming pools, cellars or garden pond.
- MULTI OUTLET SIZE:Compatible with 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" hoses. Three fittings with different diameters for outflow(1",1.25",1.5" ) to choose from according to the flow rate.
- AUTO FLOAT SWITCH:Start/stop automatically. When water level is below 4.7 inch, it will automatically disconnect the power; when water level rises above 4.7 inch, the pump will start again. Cut off immediately when pump fails to pump water to prevent the coil from getting burned.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS:Thermoplastic composite material is highly rugged. Designed and manufactured in line with the valid safety requirements. Thermoplastic body resists corrosion as there are not exposed metal parts. Lower noise and energy-efficient. Oil free motor requires no maintenance.
- GREAT FOR DRAINING:Great to Drain the Dirty Water from the Pond, Garden Pond, or Water Tanks. Great to move water for garden irrigation or cleaning your yard or road.
- 【 HIGH EFFICIENCY 】：The submersible water pump has professional-grade power. 1/4HP motor. Max Lift: 27 Feet; 1850 Gallon Per Hour (30 gallons per minute) rating tackles any draining job at a fraction of the time. It delivers more efficient handling 1/8 inch solids in a Removable suction filter for faster, more productive work.
- 【 PORTABLE DESIGN 】：This sump pump is user friendly and easy assemble. Compact design, Portable handle, easy for carry and storage. Thermoplastic composite material is highly rugged. Made of thermoplastic composite body, anti-corrosion, ensure its the service of products from details . According to the valid safety requirements, Lower noise and energy-efficient.
- 【 EFFICIENT& ACCURATE 】： Strict control and professional equipment. Includes 1-1/4 inch NPT discharge size and 3/4 inch garden hose adapter. The black rubber sealing ring protects and fixes the power cord, in order to prevent it from breaking.
- 【 Advanced Technology 】：The bottom filter of submersible utility pump can achieve low suction function, reduce impurities in the water to increase the life of the pump. The impeller is highly corrosion-resistant. This pump impeller blades can be adjusted automatically to adapt to speed and fluid viscosity.
- 【 WIDE APPLICATION 】：Suitable for flooded area, swimming pools, cellars or garden pond, Great to Drain the Dirty Water from the Pond, Garden Pond, or Water Tanks. Great to move water for garden irrigation or cleaning your yard or road.
- The pump should be unplugged once the water is no longer being moved, or pump will run dry.
- Assembled in the US with foreign and domestic parts
- Multi-flo technology allows easy selection of the appropriate discharge for the application
- Top discharge is perfect for tight spaces where water removal is needed; window wells, buckets, etc.
- Side discharge is ideal for easy water removal from flat open surfaces: flat roofs, flooded basements, standing water in yard, shower stalls, etc
- POWERFUL SUMP PUMP:400 Watt, 1/2 HP motor. Max Lift: 16 Feet; 1981 Gallon Per Hour rating tackles any draining job at a fraction of the time. This submersible water pump easily passes solids up to 1/2" in diameter. GREAT for flooded area, swimming pools, cellars or garden pond
- MULTI OUTLET SIZE:Compatible with 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" hoses. Three fittings with different diameters for outflow(1",1.25", 1.5") to choose from according to the flow rate
- AUTO FLOAT SWITCH:Start/stop automatically. When water level is below 4.7 inch, it will automatically disconnect the power; when water level rises above 4.7 inch, the sump pump submersible will start again. Cut off immediately when pump fails to pump water to prevent the coil from getting burned
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIALS:Thermoplastic composite material is highly rugged. Designed and manufactured in line with the valid safety requirements. Thermoplastic body resists corrosion as there are not exposed metal parts. Lower noise and energy-efficient. Oil free motor requires no maintenance
- INGENIOUS DESIGN:The higher base plate assures the prevention of debris collection in the sump pit, thermal overload protection ensures the utility pump operates within spec for longer durability
- 【Stable Drainage】With powerful motor,Raynel automatic pool cover pump removes standing water from pool covers and is ideal for household water transfer applications.The 1,200 GPH performance was obtained through a 1 in. I.D. tube, with friction losses neglected.
- 【Auto ON/OFF Technology】Sensitive to water level.Auto On activates when water at, or above 1 3/5 in has been detected and Auto Off activates when water at, or below 3/5 in. has been detected.Save your time, safe housekeeper of the pool cover.
- 【Excellent Design】With unique hollow design at the bottom can filter large particles of impurities and prolong the service life of the motor.Side drainage and wide base for stable placement.The tail has a connection rope interface, which is easy to move the pump from the pool cover.
- 【Good Compatibility】The attachment attaches to pool cover pump directly and shoots water from on top of your cover into the air away from the pool.Attached 16 ft drain hose fits 1/2'' outlet adapter to remove water.Another adapter for the 3/4" garden hose.The Rotary Union Swivel can simplify the operation of connection.
- 【SUPERIOR Value/ Customer Service】 - Package includes auto matic pool cover pump,pump attachment,16 ft drain hose,3 outlet adapters and a manual.Backed by a LIFETIME E-mail Customer Support within 24 h.Professional team is always on line.
Last updated on 2020-10-19.
Note: Water and electricity do not mix, which is why I purchased a new 100′ long heavy-duty extension cord to use with my pump. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of extra cord to run along the top of my pool fence, off the wet ground.
Best Pool Drain Pump Accessories for DIY
- 1-1/4″ x 24′ Universal Discharge Hose with Adapters
- 100′ Heavy Duty Outdoor Extension Cord
- Heavy Duty Extension Cord Storage Wheel
1. Where do I drain my pool water? In Litchfield Park, where I live, the city doesn’t allow draining pools into the street gutter, so I drain the water on my lawn.
2. How much water do you drain? My pool is 22,000 gallons, and I drained out about 15,000 gallons.
3. How long will it take to drain your pool water? With my 1/2 HP submersible pool pump, it took about 8 hours to drain out about 15,000 gallons at ~2000 GPH.
4. Does all that water on your lawn flood your back yard? Actually, I was surprised how quickly the water got absorbed into the ground. Never did it look like it was puddling.
5. How much did your water bill cost for refilling your pool? Last July, my water bill went up about $28.65 when I refilled my pool at .00191 cents per gallon.
That concludes this DIY tip, and now it’s your turn…
Every pool is different, so would you share your pool water story in the comments below? It would be a great addon to this best pump to drain pool water tip.
Also, if you’re a new pool owner who’s just learning how to service your swimming pool, I also recommend that you check these DIY pool maintenance tools.